1A conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning.
- In which case it remains unreasonable to base inductive inferences on evidence described in those terms.
- The preceding chapters have given us at least some feel for which inferences are deductively valid, and why.
- Now, if reason generates only judgements about the world and inferences therefrom, it is hard to see how it can be a motive to act.
deduction, conclusion, reasoning, conjecture, speculation, guess, presumption, assumption, supposition, reckoning, extrapolation
1.1The process of inferring something: his emphasis on order and health, and by inference cleanliness
More example sentences
- Nothing more need be added because, by inference, nothing could be more sublime.
- It became fairly clear, by inference, that the sort of people who bought the clothes she sold were not her sort of people.
- I couldn't hear what she was saying but it had to be - by inference - that she loves him too.
- Example sentences
- Its main contribution was an epistemological method, based on inferential reasoning.
- The inferential reasoning for tendency or coincidence evidence is considered dangerous as it permits a person to be judged by their conduct on other occasions.
- Earth, however, has become so modified during its geological history that we cannot use this inferential method to reconstruct the initial state of our own planet.
- Example sentences
- Certainly, inferentially, his family can testify about certain things and answer certain questions.
- Notice also that an inferentially justified belief need not have been arrived at through inference, though it often will have been.
- A party appearing before a tribunal is entitled to know, either expressly stated by it or inferentially stated, what it is to which the tribunal is addressing its mind.
Late 16th century: from medieval Latin inferentia, from inferent- 'bringing in', from the verb inferre (see infer).
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.