- 1Lower in rank, status, or quality: schooling in inner-city areas was inferior to that in the rest of the countryMore example sentences
- Even the angels are inferior to man in status and are asked by God to pay obeisance to him.
- Traditionally, the combat service support forces have occupied a status seen as somewhat inferior to those of the other two categories.
- Obviously, since it is shielded from the burden of having to please customers or compete in a real marketplace, its quality will be inferior to paid research.
- 1.1Of low standard or quality: inferior goodsMore example sentences
- The inevitable result will be a diminished standard of living and inferior quality of life for the average American.
- Although Monaghan did not really test the home team the manager placed more focus on how his team performed and less about the inferior standard of the visitors.
- Liebowitz and Margolis are skeptical that any convincing claim of path dependent selection of an objectively inferior standard has been established.
- 1.2 Law (Of a court or tribunal) able to have its decisions overturned by a higher court.More example sentences
- One task that it assumed became the supervisory jurisdiction of inferior courts and tribunals.
- Judicial review is available as a remedy for mistakes of law made by inferior courts and tribunals only.
- Maybe it does not apply because it is an inferior tribunal, but just assume for the moment it does.
- 1.3 Economics Denoting goods or services that are in greater demand during a recession than in a boom, e.g., secondhand clothes.More example sentences
- These are referred to as inferior goods and examples in most western countries include rural bus services and household coal.
- Income effects on attendance were found to be negative, which supports the idea found in previous research of hockey as an inferior good.
- True inferior goods are not common, but particular goods and services may benefit from some customers who buy more as incomes fall.
- 2chiefly Anatomy Low or lower in position: ulcers located in the inferior and posterior wall of the duodenumMore example sentences
- He underwent an excision of a portion of the anterior temporal lobe and inferior temporal gyrus.
- The first lumbar may provide the inferior phrenic or middle suprarenal.
- The lateral part of the anterior commissure traverses the inferior part of the corpus striatum.
- 2.1(Of a letter, figure, or symbol) written or printed below the line.More example sentences
- Reservation 2: Nunn points out that inferior lines have, for the most part, been left out of this book.
- The character may also have an attached superior or inferior figure.
- Differences between the values indicated by the same inferior letter are significant at the 5% level.
- 2.2 Botany (Of the ovary of a flower) situated below the sepals and enclosed in the receptacle.More example sentences
- Each disc flower is surrounded by a sharp-pointed, chaffy bract and consists of a basal inferior ovary, two pappus scales, and a tubular corolla.
- Four sepals are fused to form a long slender floral tube with an inferior ovary.
- The members of subgen. Bomarea s.str. have an inferior ovary and a dehiscent capsule.
nounBack to top
- 1A person lower than another in rank, status, or ability: her social and intellectual inferiorsMore example sentences
- Maintain social status by winning at least as much as your inferiors and climb the ranks by winning more than your superiors.
- Furthermore, how much one had to share with guests and followers seems to have been a function of the number of social inferiors within one's orbit.
- It is most evident when he refers to the middle class - especially those members of it who, through idealism or voyeurism, decided to slum it with their social inferiors.
- 2 Printing An inferior letter, figure, or symbol.More example sentences
- This mark indicates that the letter is superior to an inferior.
- sense 2 of the adjective.More example sentences
- The mass was located posterior to the left colon, extending medially to the root of the mesentery, superiorly to the transverse colon, and inferiorly it occupied the entire pelvis.
- B3 supplies the anterior segment and like B2, has a generally horizontal course but proceeds somewhat inferiorly from its origin.
- The posterior segment extends from the right hilum, posteriorly and inferiorly and forms the posterior half of the interlobar surface relating to the right major fissure.
late Middle English (sense 2 of the adjective): from Latin, comparative of inferus 'low'.