1(Of a person, animal, or plant) unable to reproduce.
- On the other hand, clinical cytogenetic studies of malformed and infertile dogs have been rather poorly developed.
- ‘Twice we tried to mate her,’ says Pyarejan, who fears his elephant is infertile.
- The sperm of the altered mice were less vigorous than normal, and the mice were completely infertile.
1.1(Of land) unable to sustain crops or vegetation.
- Most Haitians live in rural areas as sharecroppers working infertile land.
- However, many people find it difficult to sustain their families on small plots of infertile land.
- These were farms so small or with such infertile land as to be unable to support a family at a minimum standard of living.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.