Definition of infinitesimal in English:
Extremely small: an infinitesimal pause
More example sentences
- I seek leave to table from the New England Journal of Medicine a recent definitive study showing that intellectual impairment of children can occur even with extremely infinitesimal amounts of lead.
- It was a pause so infinitesimal that I almost didn't catch it, but I knew what I glimpsed.
- Minute, infinitesimal amounts of chemical contaminants crossing the placenta can cause cancer in young adults decades later.
nounMathematics Back to top
An indefinitely small quantity; a value approaching zero.
- These two concepts, infinitesimals and infinite quantities, however, were stirring great philosophical dilemmas.
- The book shows how this notion can be used to form various kinds of infinities such as the projective plane, transfinite numbers, and infinitesimals.
- Also in 1786 he again worked on his ideas for the differential and integral calculus, giving a new treatment of infinitesimals.
- Example sentences
- The design of the pipeline means that the risk of such an event or any other type of gas escape is infinitesimally small.
- In fact, leaving aside the infinitesimally small world of math geniuses, there isn't any evidence that men are more intelligent than women, and no one seriously says so.
- At their best they became monolithic tomes - bunkers for content, guides updated haphazardly that infinitesimally accrete ‘content’.
Words that rhyme with infinitesimaldecimal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan