2 Grammar Insert (a formative element) into the body of a word.
- You don't say like in English I talked - I will talk, but infixing, you have morphemes which are within the root.
- The text which sparked this query to the List was an analysis of expletive infixing.
- A linguist enthusiastically explained to me that swearing is the only example of infixing in the English language and I was happy, for I had learned something.
A formative element inserted in a word.
- The suffixes and infixes are organized under two headings: nouns, adjectives, and pronouns and verbs.
- In the following table, we give the prefix and infix notations and the corresponding expansions.
- After excluding unusual ones not used in modem Spanish, there are still about sixty derivatives for a single verb, and many of the transformation rules are irregular, both in suffixes and in infixes.
- sense 2 of the verb.Example sentences
- I even take into account whether things are prefixes or suffixes (the famous problem you saw in your assignment, with Tagalog infixation).
- She seems not to know that there are hundreds of mentions of this phenomenon in the technical literature on phonology, the central work being John McCarthy's 1982 Language paper, ‘Prosodic structure and expletive infixation’.
- I once heard ‘an entirely nother’, which disproves the infixation story.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of infix in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.