1Having a relaxed, friendly, or unofficial style, manner, or nature: an informal atmosphere an informal agreement between the two companies
More example sentences
- It is an army establishment and although run on military lines the atmosphere is easy, informal and friendly.
- The atmosphere is relaxed, informal and friendly.
- The service throughout was extremely friendly and the informal atmosphere was enhanced by the fact that we felt we could have sat there all afternoon if we had wanted to.
unofficial, casual, relaxed, easygoing, unceremonious;
open, friendly, intimate;
simple, unpretentious, easy
informal unstuffy, laid-back, chummy
1.1Of or denoting a style of writing or conversational speech characterized by simple grammatical structures, familiar vocabulary, and use of idioms, e.g., tu in French.
- The content of websites can be written in formal as well as informal language.
- The blend of formal and informal language suits the school's mission and vision perfectly.
- And what about informal and formal names for living things?
colloquial, vernacular, idiomatic, demotic, popular;
familiar, everyday, unofficial;
simple, natural, unpretentious
informal slangy, chatty, folksy
1.2(Of dress) casual; suitable for everyday wear.
- Cate nodded and slipped out of her informal dress that she had worn all day.
- He liked jazz, preferred informal dress, didn't much care for hunting and shooting, and was openly contemptuous of red carpets.
- Dress is informal and music will be provided by the Brose Walsh Band.
casual, relaxed, comfortable, everyday, sloppy, leisure
informal comfy, cazh
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.