Definition of infraspecific in English:
1At a taxonomic level below that of species, e.g., subspecies, variety, cultivar, or form. In botany, Latin names at this level usually require the addition of a term denoting the rank.
- The present work represents the first comprehensive treatment of Alnus maritima at the infraspecific level.
- Several researchers recognize the strength and reproducibility of this method at the infraspecific level.
- The known vascular flora of the Preserve consists of 538 specific and infraspecific taxa from 310 genera in 98 families.
1.1Occurring within a species: infraspecific variation
More example sentences
- Thus we considered the number of lateral costae (five or six per shell flank) in S.7 spiriferformis to be within the infraspecific variation of Sinostricklandiella robusta.
- Perhaps Furlow lacked the quantity of data needed to resolve the infraspecific variation that exists.
- Phylogeny, cytology, ethnobotany, conservation biology, and infraspecific taxa are all reasons why a revision of the North American species of Apios was needed.
Definition of infraspecific in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan