Definition of infraspecific in English:
1At a taxonomic level below that of species, e.g., subspecies, variety, cultivar, or form. In botany, Latin names at this level usually require the addition of a term denoting the rank.
- The present work represents the first comprehensive treatment of Alnus maritima at the infraspecific level.
- Several researchers recognize the strength and reproducibility of this method at the infraspecific level.
- The known vascular flora of the Preserve consists of 538 specific and infraspecific taxa from 310 genera in 98 families.
1.1Occurring within a species: infraspecific variation
More example sentences
- Thus we considered the number of lateral costae (five or six per shell flank) in S.7 spiriferformis to be within the infraspecific variation of Sinostricklandiella robusta.
- Perhaps Furlow lacked the quantity of data needed to resolve the infraspecific variation that exists.
- Phylogeny, cytology, ethnobotany, conservation biology, and infraspecific taxa are all reasons why a revision of the North American species of Apios was needed.
Definition of infraspecific in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.