Definition of ingest in English:
1Take (food, drink, or another substance) into the body by swallowing or absorbing it.
- Frugivorous vertebrates ingest fruits and the seeds within, later defecating the seeds.
- Every physical ailment is classified as warm or cold, and its cure depends on restoring the body's equilibrium by ingesting foods with the opposite properties.
- The gut model only allows for a mass intake on a daily basis that does not exceed the mass of the animal ingesting the food.
1.1Absorb (information): he spent his days ingesting the contents of the library
More example sentences
- The Web was a dismal place for ingesting information because it was visually bereft, difficult to move around in, and generally unpleasant.
- I'd hoped to do better having spent a good portion of my life in America, ingesting top-shelf propaganda.
- It is a forceful process, ingesting the news and carrying it with me through the day.
early 17th century: from Latin ingest- 'brought in', from the verb ingerere, from in- 'into' + gerere 'carry'.
- Example sentences
- There must be a period of digesting and assimilation before the next ingestion.
- Aspartame also contains methanol, which upon ingestion is broken down to formaldehyde and then formic acid.
- Adding just a dab of cool sour cream, the traditional accompaniment, will only slightly retard your rate of ingestion.
- Example sentences
- Effects on ingestive behavior depend on the dose of LPS used, and in general, last a relatively short time.
- It doesn't interfere with any other ingestive behaviors such as food or water, which amperozide does a little in the animals.
- Decreased ingestive behavior, impaired cognitive functioning, increased sleep, and altered mood have been reported by individuals experiencing immune activation or cytokine treatment.
Words that rhyme with ingestabreast, arrest, attest, beau geste, behest, bequest, best, blessed, blest, breast, Brest, Bucharest, Budapest, celeste, chest, contest, crest, digest, divest, guest, hest, infest, jest, lest, Midwest, molest, nest, northwest, pest, prestressed, protest, quest, rest, self-addressed, self-confessed, self-possessed, southwest, suggest, test, Trieste, unaddressed, unexpressed, unimpressed, unpressed, unstressed, vest, west, wrest, zest
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan