Definition of inhibition in English:
1A feeling that makes one self-conscious and unable to act in a relaxed and natural way: the children, at first shy, soon lost their inhibitions a powerful tranquilizer that causes lack of inhibition
More example sentences
- And what with alcohol removing your natural inhibitions, I… did some things that I shouldn't have.
- Once the Soviet Union collapsed, the fear and inhibitions mostly disappeared, but the psychological need to confront ‘evil’ states remained.
- I remember being a little shy about bathing outside naked but then my inhibitions would disappear at the sheer joy of feeling that soft warm water on my hot skin.
1.1 Psychology A voluntary or involuntary restraint on the direct expression of an instinct.
- But Freud also acknowledged that purely external factors, rather than internal inhibitions, might prevent the direct expression of such impulses.
- She then builds up a secondary inhibition to sexual arousal in order to avoid the frustration accompanying an unsatisfying sexual experience.
- The moral that Freud drew from this reasoning was that the inhibition of natural emotional expressions could lead to dangerous consequences.
1.2The action of inhibiting, restricting, or hindering a process.
- The main characteristic of whole body withdrawal is complete inhibition of swimming.
- It may involve simultaneous activation of some belief representations and inhibition of others.
- There is no reason to think other large single-currency areas, such as China, pay any smaller cost in terms of overall GDP inhibition and regional disparity.
1.3The slowing or prevention of a process, reaction, or function by a particular substance.
- With respect to this subject, the reported DNA damage and inhibition of DNA repair functions by photooxidative reactions is an interesting aspect.
- Similar calmodulin-mediated phosphorylations lead to inhibition of glycogen synthase.
- The alternative possibility, that the kinetic complexity of Mg-G-actin digestions arises from trypsin inhibition in these reactions, has been tested in two ways.