Definition of initialize in English:
verb[with object] Computing
1 (often be initialized to) Set to the value or put in the condition appropriate to the start of an operation: the counter is initialized to one
More example sentences
- Instead, the/dev directory is created when the operating system is initialized on the machine, populating the/dev directory with all known possible names.
- The squad table is initialized to a reasonable set of default values.
- A pointer that you use to iterate in a buffer also has value semantics - you initialize it to point to the beginning of the buffer, and you bump it until you reach the end.
- Example sentences
- LinuxBIOS, for instance, can be included in place of the normal BIOS-with a little bit of hardware initialization and a compressed Linux kernel that can be booted from a cold start-to achieve faster startup times.
- The real-time FIFO devices are built during the RTLinux installation and created in the initialization of the real-time modules.
- A method and system for secure cable modem initialization in a data-over-cable system is provided using a secure protocol server.
Pronunciation: /iˌniSHələˈzāSH(ə)n/ /iˌniSHəˌlīˈzāSH(ə)n/noun
Words that rhyme with initializeoverspecialize • spatialize
Definition of initialize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan