1A person or thing that initiates someone or something.
- As initiators of culture and producers of the societies in which we live, the destiny of modern man is our conscious choice.
- Sudden role reversals make it possible for the initiator to rationalise contradictions.
- After creating some initial noise its initiator immediately moved to disband it.
1.1 Chemistry A substance that starts a chain reaction.
- On another front, progress has recently been made in rendering polycondensation itself a controlled, living process by the judicious choice of monomer and well-defined molecular initiators.
- Macrodiols with different thermal characteristics were prepared using ring-opening polymerization of cyclic diesters or lactones with a low molecular weight diol as an initiator.
- For the synthetic studies, we made the peptides by polymerising an activated form of the amino acid (the N carboxyanhydride) using a nucleophile as an initiator.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of initiator in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.