Definition of injector in English:
1A person or thing that injects something.
- Almost three-quarters of intravenous drug users who were previously imprisoned reported that they had injected three or more years ago, compared with 36% of injectors among new entrants.
- Figures published earlier this year showed that the number of heterosexual Scots being diagnosed as HIV-positive had risen to record levels, overtaking figures for people in high-risk groups such as homosexuals and drug injectors.
- In their march into Iraq, U.S. Marines discovered Iraqi chemical-biological protection suits and field-syringe injectors filled with a nerve-gas antidote.
1.1 (also fuel injector) (In an internal combustion engine) the nozzle and valve through which fuel is sprayed into a combustion chamber.
- The fuel injector may include a valve body which has longitudinal axis.
- A fuel injector is nothing more than an electronically controlled valve.
- Extreme heat can also cause wear and tear faster than expected so your Volvo fuel injector must be highly resistant to extreme temperatures.
1.2(In a steam engine) a system of nozzles that uses steam to inject water into a pressurized boiler.
- Later, top-feed was introduced, shown by two pipes from the injectors circling the boiler to ‘clack valves’ whence the feed water was able to trickle down a series of trays, mixing with the steam and avoiding much scaling of the metal.
- That means short water inlet, short water outlet up to the bundle, short condensate return to heat the tender, but longer piping for the steam to run the pump, and a full-length pipe for cold water all the way back to the injector.
- Pumps are more common in warm climates as the injector depends on a temperature difference, i.e. the feed water as cold as possible.
Words that rhyme with injectorbisector, collector, connector, convector, corrector, defector, deflector, detector, director, ejector, elector, erector, hector, inspector, nectar, objector, perfecter, projector, prospector, protector, rector, reflector, rejector, respecter, sector, selector, Spector, spectre (US specter), vector
Definition of injector in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.