Definition of insalubrious in English:
(Especially of a climate or locality) not salubrious; unhealthy.
- Partly it's because Shakespeare has become tainted with the insalubrious whiff of the schoolroom.
- He may have preferred topographical specificity, but given his delicate health, he would have been ill-advised to visit any such insalubrious clime.
- It was the last activity that afforded the abundant raw material, the insalubrious waste known as coal tar.
- Example sentences
- An argument against this, however, is that following the Civil War the South did experience considerable migration from the North despite its reputation for insalubrity.
- For, as we have seen, the misfortunes of the city were due to the insalubrity of its climate and the collapse of the Portuguese power and commerce in the East.
- It will in all probability become a place of the first consequence, notwithstanding the insalubrity of its climate, and the dreadful tempests it is subject to in winter.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan