- (Especially of a climate or locality) not salubrious; unhealthy.More example sentences
- Partly it's because Shakespeare has become tainted with the insalubrious whiff of the schoolroom.
- He may have preferred topographical specificity, but given his delicate health, he would have been ill-advised to visit any such insalubrious clime.
- It was the last activity that afforded the abundant raw material, the insalubrious waste known as coal tar.
- More example sentences
- An argument against this, however, is that following the Civil War the South did experience considerable migration from the North despite its reputation for insalubrity.
- For, as we have seen, the misfortunes of the city were due to the insalubrity of its climate and the collapse of the Portuguese power and commerce in the East.
- It will in all probability become a place of the first consequence, notwithstanding the insalubrity of its climate, and the dreadful tempests it is subject to in winter.
mid 17th century: from Latin insalubris (from in- 'not' + salubris 'salubrious') + -ous.