Definition of insectivorous in English:
1(Of an animal) feeding on insects, worms, and other invertebrates.
- Herbivorous, granivorous and insectivorous birds have a highly specialized, muscular gizzard with an inner lining of hard cuticle.
- Thomisids are among the favourite prey of insectivorous birds and other invertebrates.
- Contrary to popular belief, bats are not helpless on the ground or in the water, and some insectivorous species feed on ground-dwelling insects as much or more than they feed on insects captured in flight.
1.1(Of a plant such as the Venus flytrap) able to capture and digest insects.
- There, while hunting for the rare bog orchid, he stumbled on the minuscule, insectivorous sundew plant, Drosera rotundifolia.
- The Venus flytrap is a must for boys who enjoy watching the insectivorous plant capture its prey - usually a housefly - before devouring it over several days.
- It's as if memory functions like some swift and rapacious insectivorous plant.
Words that rhyme with insectivorouscarnivorous, herbivorous, omnivorous
Definition of insectivorous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan