- An isolated hill or mountain rising abruptly from a plain.More example sentences
- The rock exposures are rather poor, except for some scattered inselbergs and massifs of biotite-hornblende gneisses.
- Nectarinia moreaui is restricted to the montane inselbergs of the south-central Eastern Arc Mountains and is, therefore, a range-restricted endemic to Tanzania.
- Porembski et al. proposed that the high plant species diversity found in inselbergs within the Atlantic forest domain is partially due to exchange of species between the rocky habitats and the canopy of neighbouring forests.
early 20th century: from German, from Insel 'island' + Berg 'mountain'.
More definitions of inselbergDefinition of inselberg in:
- The British & World English dictionary