Definition of inseminate in English:
Introduce semen into (a woman or a female animal) by natural or artificial means.
- At the National Wildlife Research Center in Taif, female bustards are artificially inseminated and the chicks are hand-raised and then released.
- At the predicted time of ovulation she is artificially inseminated with semen from the husband of the infertile woman…
- If you artificially inseminate a chicken with semen from a turkey, few if any of the sperm find their way into the females' sperm store, and at best, only 2 to 3 percent of the eggs will be fertile.
- Example sentences
- The three main types of assisted conception are intrauterine insemination, in vitro fertilisation, and intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
- Donor sperm can be used for either intrauterine insemination or in vitro fertilization.
- On a purely physical level, it makes sense to lie down for a few minutes after artificial intrauterine insemination, although not all infertility clinics insist on this.
Early 17th century: from Latin inseminat- 'sown', from the verb inseminare, from in- 'into' + seminare 'plant, sow' (from semen, semin- 'seed, semen').
Words that rhyme with inseminatedisseminate, ingeminate
Definition of inseminate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.