Not expressing genuine feelings: she flashed him an insincere smile
More example sentences
- It's not an insincere smile, just rather mysterious: you see it neither arriving nor departing.
- She describes this binding of her brother's death with a call to arms as insincere, hypocritical and exploitative.
- Hallie gave him a quick, insincere smile that looked more like a grimace.
- Example sentences
- ‘Thank you,’ she said insincerely, though she knew it was rude.
- He looked up and smiled as insincerely as he could.
- Students would not succumb to their desire to insincerely reproduce what their teachers profess.
Mid 17th century: from Latin insincerus, from in- 'not' + sincerus 'sincere'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.