Definition of insomnia in English:
Habitual sleeplessness; inability to sleep.
- Fact sheets are on topics such as restless legs syndrome, insomnia, and sleep apnoea.
- Now stress and anxiety are obvious factors in causing insomnia but insomnia is insidious.
- So you need to get checked out by a good doctor who knows something about sleep and insomnia.
early 17th century: from Latin, from insomnis 'sleepless', from in- (expressing negation) + somnus 'sleep'.
- Example sentences
- Forget counting sheep - insomniacs count sleep, jealously, obsessively, the way some women count calories.
- An insomniac who sleeps only three to four hours a night, her energy was legendary.
- The insomniac is unable to get sufficient sleep for their daily needs.
Pronunciation: /-nēˌak/noun& adjective
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan