- An electoral system whereby voters rank candidates in order of preference. In the event that one candidate fails to achieve a sufficient majority, the candidate with the fewest number of first-preference rankings is eliminated and these votes redistributed, the process being repeated until one candidate achieves the required majority.More example sentences
- He said his party is interested in electoral change that empowers voters, such as instant runoff voting, which would allow voters to rank their top choices for a political office.
- We should push states to require majority winners through instant runoff voting.
- In March, San Francisco voted to become the first American city to implement instant runoff voting for its major local elections.
More definitions of instant runoff votingDefinition of instant runoff voting in:
- The British & World English dictionary