Definition of insulator in English:
1A thing or substance used for insulation, in particular.
1.1A substance that does not readily allow the passage of heat or sound: cotton is a poor insulator
More example sentences
- But the obese person in athletic competition is at great peril because the fat around his torso acts as an insulator, refusing to allow the body's heat to escape.
- Arctic and boreal mosses, for example, are effective insulators that minimize heat transfer from the soil surface to the underlying soil.
- An area of the turbo acts as an insulator from the exhaust heat to keep the intake air compressor side as cool as possible.
1.2A substance or device that does not readily conduct electricity.
- Back in the 1970s, U.S. and Japanese researchers found that plastic - normally an insulator of electricity - could act as a conductor under certain circumstances.
- PCBs were used as paint additives and as insulators in the electricity industry and although they were banned in 1970 are still present in water and soil from which they make their way into the food chain.
- It can act as a conductor of electricity or an insulator.
1.3A block of material, typically glass or ceramic, enclosing a wire carrying an electric current where it crosses a support.
- In laparoscopic electrosurgical instruments, for instance, ceramics such as alumina and zirconia serve as insulators to protect surgeons from the electric current running through the device.
- On a hilltop at the edge of town, a bunch of drunken hunters were target-shooting at the ceramic insulators on Bishkek's primary high-voltage lines.
- This painting portrays in great detail a skeleton-like electrical power transmission tower with dozens of identical ceramic insulators.
Definition of insulator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India