- Leniency also should be extended to those insurgents and terrorists who give up the armed struggle.
- With crimes like this, it's not hard to see why the insurgents keep attacking the police.
- If you use terms like militants, insurgents, guerrillas, you are not saying these people are evil.
- Taking a page out of the tactics of Anglo-American imperialism in Italy, the Stalinist bureaucracy leaves the insurgent proletariat to be crushed by the retreating Nazis.
- No, I do not remember any crimes being committed, other than the work of terrorist organisations and insurgent forces.
- But the turning point of the film, the Warsaw Ghetto uprising where 40,000 insurgent Jews held off the Nazis for almost a month with few weapons, is watched from a distance.
- According to reports there were very few insurgent casualties, since rebels had withdrawn from their positions before the attacks.
- The higher than expected cost of protecting workers against insurgent attacks - about 25 cents of every reconstruction dollar now pays for security - has sent the cost of projects skyward.
- That was followed by a very bloody year and growing insurgent attacks.
- Example sentences
- As memories of 17th-century Catholic insurgence began to fade, toleration seemed to increase.
- Esther was an activist whose potent insurgence foiled a plot of global proportions.
- It was a statement of defiance against the insurgence.
Mid 18th century (as a noun): via French from Latin insurgent- 'arising', from the verb insurgere, from in- 'into, toward' + surgere 'to rise'.
Words that rhyme with insurgentconvergent, detergent, divergent, emergent, resurgent, urgent
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.