Definition of intensifier in English:
1A person or thing that intensifies, in particular.
- You can also use it in conjunction with other intensifiers, such as descending sets.
- Flavor intensifiers are being tested as a way to promote weight loss and an alternative diet.
- We've compiled the 10 best intensifiers - proven methods for recharging your progress - and, this month, we'll analyze five.
1.2 Grammar An adverb used to give force or emphasis, for example, really in my feet are really cold.
- Some words and phrases used as quantifiers can also be used as intensifiers, as in: much nicer; much less; many more; a little better; a lot older; a lot too old; a bit too much.
- You could argue, of course, that the over- of oversimplistic is chiefly an intensifier.
- It belongs to the class that grammarians call intensifiers.
1.3 short for image intensifier.
Definition of intensifier in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan