Definition of interceptor in English:
1A person or thing that stops or catches (someone or something) going from one place to another.
- Approximately 4,600 small interceptors would be deployed in orbit, each capable of homing in on and destroying incoming hostile warheads.
- There is also the issue that point short-range interceptors, when dealing with incoming missiles, are most effective when nuclear tipped.
- ‘The ABM treaty is a relic of the past,’ Bush said, arguing in favour of a missile defence system of interceptors to protect against incoming missiles from ‘rogue’ states.
1.1A fast aircraft for stopping or repelling hostile aircraft.
- Fighter jets provide escort, tail aircraft and act as interceptors.
- He effectively shows, even to the novice, that the design requirements for interceptors, ‘bomber-fighters,’ and air-superiority fighters are very dissimilar.
- Fighter interceptors stayed on high alert, ready to respond within minutes to identify and monitor suspicious aircraft.