The distance between two adjacent columns.
- For columns with these diameters in diastyle, the intercolumniation would have measured between 1.80 m and 2.90 m (2.40 m for a bottom diameter of 0.60 m).
- Hawksmoor's intercolumniation is 18 feet, a formidable span for a stone entablature.
- In his treatise Vitruvius listed different intercolumniation types: 3 diameters for diastilos, 2.25 diameters for eustilos, 2 diameters for eustylos and 1.25 diameters for picnostylos.
- Example sentences
- There are no intercolumnar bracket sets, and the hall has no ceiling: its roof frame is entirely exposed.
- An orator chooses images based on points of an argument or facts of a case that need to be remembered and relies on a stock set of architectural spaces, like a house or intercolumnar space, to serve as backgrounds.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of intercolumniation in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.