Definition of intercross in English:
(With reference to animals or plants of different breeds or varieties) interbreed or cause to interbreed.
- At least 8 of these were shown to be in the same linkage group by intercrossing.
- In this form it presumably could be maintained in a population against the tendency to swamping by intercrossing.
- One corn type they have introduced us to is called a ‘synthetic’, which is a deliberate mixture of a number of similar, improved lines that can be allowed to intercross in the field.
nounBack to top
1An instance of intercrossing of animals or plants.
- A total of 116 female mice from an intercross between the strains were genotyped.
- We have mapped it by analysis of backcrosses and intercrosses between B6 mice and both susceptible strains.
- Homozygous mutants were obtained by intercrosses of the heterozygotes.
1.1An animal or plant resulting from this.
- Differences in the PRKAG3 gene sequences of the founder animals of the intercross were analyzed.
- The development of large numbers of molecular markers and interval-mapping methods paved the way for QTL mapping using intercrosses of inbred experimental organisms.
- The physical characteristics, vigor, and productivity of the intercrosses suggest that the negative effects of inbreeding in the Florida panthers of the 1970s are being remedied.
Definition of intercross in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan