Definition of interlock in English:
Pronunciation: /ˌin(t)ərˈläk /[no object]
(Of two or more things) engage with each other by overlapping or by the fitting together of projections and recesses: their fingers interlocked
More example sentences
- The two swords interlocked with each other, creating a double-edged blade.
- Her uncle looked at his little niece, her face flashing orange and green and her fingers interlocking in awkwardness.
- Their fingers interlocked lovingly as he stared into her eyes.
Pronunciation: /ˈin(t)ərˌläk /Back to top
1A device or mechanism for connecting or coordinating the function of different components.
- We couldn't do this to both engines because a mechanical interlock prevents moving both condition levers to feather.
- The bladder is blow molded over the frame with mechanical interlocks, formed in the molding process, holding the structure together.
- These dumbwaiters are designed much like a standard elevator, with built-in safety brakes and safety interlocks that prevent operation if any door is open.
2 (also interlock fabric) A fabric knitted with closely interlocking stitches that allow it to stretch, typically used in underwear.
- Made of 100% combed cotton interlock fabric, it has cap sleeves and a round neck.
- For lettucing or ruffling, choose a fabric that has crosswise stretch, such as a cotton/spandex blend, cotton interlock or ribbing.
- Is it possible to dye cotton interlock successfully?
- Example sentences
- Twenty-four of these interlockers were installed between 1924 and 1929.
Words that rhyme with interlockad hoc, amok, Bangkok, baroque, belle époque, bloc, block, bock, brock, chock, chock-a-block, clock, cock, crock, doc, dock, floc, flock, frock, hock, hough, jock, knock, langue d'oc, lock, Locke, Médoc, mock, nock, o'clock, pock, post hoc, roc, rock, schlock, shock, smock, sock, Spock, stock, wok, yapok • hammerlock • fetterlock
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan