Definition of intermarriage in English:
1Marriage between people of different races, castes, or religions: the main reason for the increase in intermarriage is probably greater religious and ethnic tolerance
More example sentences
- By 1900, intermarriages with other nationalities were more common, most of them occurring with Germans, but also with Austrians, Hungarians, and Poles.
- More than two-thirds of Cape Verdean population ancestry is Creole, descended from the intermarriages between the Portuguese settlers and black Africans.
- These networks were further cemented by intermarriages and mutual help alliances.
1.1Marriage between close relations.
- However, contributing to more distinct group of health problems is the growing trend of marriage between close relatives or what Vickie calls intermarriage.
- Firstly, it is said that when my parents met their families were neighbours and related by intermarriage.
- It's not the intermarriages per se that cause defects.
Definition of intermarriage in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan