Definition of intermezzo in English:
noun (plural intermezzi-ˈmetsē or intermezzos)
1A short connecting instrumental movement in an opera or other musical work.
- After about 1750 the intermezzo evolved further into opera buffa.
- The middle movements, intermezzos both, are characterised by mellow string and woodwind playing.
- It's funny, having known the chorus and the intermezzo well for years, I realised I only properly listened to the whole opera in order to write this blog entry.
1.1An intermezzo performed independently.
- Opera fans will be entertained by some of the world's favourite arias and intermezzos performed by acclaimed artists.
- Indeed, the two concert suites by Purcell and Mufas, that the orchestra played as intermezzos, sounded as if written for keyboards instead of strings.
1.2A short piece of music for a solo instrument.
Words that rhyme with intermezzomezzo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.