1A pause or break: he was granted an intermission in his studies the daily work goes on without intermission
More example sentences
- Vacation literally means an intermission, a period of rest, a break from routine, a time for recreation or a pause from work.
- It is also important to leave time for discussion during the activity, through the use of predetermined or spontaneous pauses or intermissions.
- You may have to take an intermission for a pee break around track 10, but if you crank it loud enough (which you'll want to) you won't miss a beat.
1.1An interval between parts of a play, movie, or concert.
- A show is structured differently from a film, with an intermission planned in the middle.
- Yet should one recommend a play for its intermission?
- If one complaint can be made, it's the fact that an intermission had to be inserted smack dab in the middle of this blistering musical celebration.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.