Definition of intersexual in English:
1Existing or occurring between the sexes: intersexual selection, or mate choice, was, to Darwin, the job of females
More example sentences
- Because intra- and intersexual selection can affect traits either jointly or separately, differences in sexual selection can provide insight into patterns of dimorphism between species.
- Pulse rate, on the other hand, is less likely to be an important trait in intersexual selection.
- It is increasingly recognized that, in some species, other aspects of intersexual selection, such as sexual coercion, can be equally important in shaping the mating system.
2Relating to or having the condition of being intermediate between male and female.
- In this paper we will focus on establishing how often intersexual conditions occur, and what conditions should be considered intersexual.
- Use of the dominant allele is critical, as the absence of all dsx activity results in intersexual flies, not males.
- However, a small percentage of males showed male intersexual phenotypes at 25°.
- Example sentences
- When I was doing first year women's studies I watched a video called ‘The Opposite Sex,’ which dealt briefly with intersexuality.
- There does appear to be a growing awareness of intersexuality in the media and pop culture.
- Such images look very much like (in fact, some of them are!) medical illustrations, and including them would perpetuate the medical/pathological model of intersexuality that I am trying to challenge.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.