1The action of intruding: he was furious about this intrusion into his private life unacceptable intrusions of privacy
More example sentences
- In her book, Cheryl is a vociferous critic of her treatment by journalists, accusing us of relentless intrusion into her privacy.
- The intrusion into personal privacy is compounded by the failure to limit access to the data held and its further use for purposes other than confirming a person's identity, he said.
- But each uptick in protection will typically come at the cost of more intrusion into the privacy of ordinary people.
1.1A thing that intrudes: they oppose the excavations as an intrusion on their heritage
More example sentences
- Two ideas are rejected: An article on wind chimes is out because they are sources of noise pollution and intrusions on personal space, and one on airline food - yuck!
- Our cities are awash in cars, so much so that we take their intrusions for granted - noise, dirt, smell and cost.
- Traffic generates noise and pollution, and is an intrusion for many areas.
2 Geology The action or process of forcing a body of igneous rock between or through existing formations, without reaching the surface.
- The associated magmatism resulted in intrusion of volcanic rocks into the sedimentary basins, magmatic underplating at the base of the crust, and large amounts of extrusive material.
- Overthrusting, volcanism, and plutonic igneous intrusion were identified as originating above the subduction zone where one plate is forced beneath the edge of its neighbour.
- Lower amphibolite-grade regional metamorphism predating intrusion of the Ballachulish Igneous Complex may have resulted in some monazite growth.
2.1A body of igneous rock that has intruded the surrounding strata.
- Volcanic rocks of enormous thickness and deep-seated igneous intrusions from this period have created much of the geology of the Peruvian Andes.
- Continental break-up produced voluminous extrusive volcanic deposits and associated igneous intrusions, and had a major impact on long-term climatic conditions in the early Tertiary.
- In addition, volcanic rocks and intrusions of this age are distributed widely around the western and southern perimeter of the basin.
Words that rhyme with intrusionallusion, collusion, conclusion, confusion, contusion, delusion, diffusion, effusion, exclusion, extrusion, fusion, illusion, inclusion, interfusion, obtrusion, occlusion, preclusion, profusion, prolusion, protrusion, reclusion, seclusion, suffusion, transfusion
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.