(also involucrum /-krəm/)
Definition of involucre in English:
A whorl or rosette of bracts surrounding an inflorescence (especially a capitulum) or at the base of an umbel.
- The cupules are simple involucres of bracts which are spirally arranged (according to a Fibonacci pattern) on the floral axis preceding the flower.
- Basal leaves and flowers initiate from a tuberous rhizome and three green cauline leaves arranged in a whorl form an involucre around the developing flower.
- The Hermaphrodite cyathium shows the characteristics measured (length and width of the cyathium involucre and the nectary).
- Example sentences
- In addition to flowers, intense signals were also obtained in young involucral bracts.
- Note that the outer involucral bracts on the bud are at right angles, a characteristic of southern dandelions.
- Bright orange-colored involucral bracts and golden yellow to darker orange-colored disc florets. 4.
Definition of involucre in:
- British & World English dictionary