Definition of involucre in English:
A whorl or rosette of bracts surrounding an inflorescence (especially a capitulum) or at the base of an umbel.
- The cupules are simple involucres of bracts which are spirally arranged (according to a Fibonacci pattern) on the floral axis preceding the flower.
- Basal leaves and flowers initiate from a tuberous rhizome and three green cauline leaves arranged in a whorl form an involucre around the developing flower.
- The Hermaphrodite cyathium shows the characteristics measured (length and width of the cyathium involucre and the nectary).
- Example sentences
- In addition to flowers, intense signals were also obtained in young involucral bracts.
- Note that the outer involucral bracts on the bud are at right angles, a characteristic of southern dandelions.
- Bright orange-colored involucral bracts and golden yellow to darker orange-colored disc florets. 4.
Definition of involucre in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan