1Of, relating to, or using ions.
- This aspect of the model permits quite rigorous treatment of two crucial features: ionic repulsion and dielectric variability.
- Resistance is due to electrons in a conductor colliding with the ionic lattice of the conductor meaning that electrical energy is converted into heat.
- So the deflection leads to a change in the ionic current that, in turn, alters the cell potential.
1.1(Of a chemical bond) formed by the electrostatic attraction of oppositely charged ions. Often contrasted with covalent.
- This difference is expressed in the notation of oxidation state versus ionic charge.
- When the chemical formula of an ionic compound is written down, it is the empirical formula that is used.
- Polyatomic ions can combine with oppositely charged ions, through ionic bonding.
- Example sentences
- Amounts of covalently bound pectin extracted by treatment with Na 2 CO 3 were lower than those of ionically bound pectin, with which they showed an approximate inverse correlation.
- In this case, as the embryo develops in pond water, which contains very little sodium, the sodium that is pumped into the blastocoel probably comes from the cells themselves, where it is stored in an ionically inactive form.
- There are changes in activity of ionically bound peroxidases during storage.
Words that rhyme with ionicanachronic, animatronic, bionic, Brythonic, bubonic, Byronic, canonic, carbonic, catatonic, chalcedonic, chronic, colonic, conic, cyclonic, daemonic, demonic, diatonic, draconic, electronic, embryonic, euphonic, harmonic, hegemonic, histrionic, homophonic, hypersonic, iconic, ironic, isotonic, laconic, macaronic, Masonic, Miltonic, mnemonic, monotonic, moronic, Napoleonic, philharmonic, phonic, Platonic, Plutonic, polyphonic, quadraphonic, sardonic, saxophonic, siphonic, Slavonic, sonic, stereophonic, subsonic, subtonic, symphonic, tectonic, Teutonic, thermionic, tonic, transonic, ultrasonic
1Relating to or denoting a classical order of architecture characterized by a column with scroll shapes (volutes) on either side of the capital.
- On the south side, a first floor loggia with Ionic columns overlooked the garden; on the north, a horseshoe staircase leads in Palladian manner to a terrace and a two-storey cubic hall.
- Despite their creativity - whether in modifying Egyptian and Near Eastern forms, or inventing the Doric and Ionic orders of architecture - Greek artists worked in established genres.
- Most notable is a one-story porch that extends the length of the central block, its roof supported by five slender columns with Ionic capitals.
2 another term for Ionian.
- She tripped over a marble fragment and hit another in the Agora of Ephesus, the proverbially wealthy Ionic city on the Cayster River in Western Turkey.
- The first seven books are devoted to the Ionic philosophers; the last three treat of the Italic school.
- The Ionic temple was dedicated to the goddess Artemis Agrotera (the huntress).
nounBack to top
1The Ionic order of architecture.
- There were three types of columns, which were Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian.
- Magnificent Greek Doric temples abounded in the latter and a full spectrum of Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian style was allowed to flourish on the Aegian coast.
- This famous building, originally painted in gold, red and blue, achieves the classical Greek sense of harmony and illustrates the three orders of Greek columns: Doric, Ionic and Corinthian.
2The ancient Greek dialect used in Ionia.
- The overall flavour is Ionic, the dialect spoken on Euboea, other islands of the eastern Aegean such as Chios, and on the mainland of Asia Minor opposite them.
- He composed in a variety of rhythms; the dialect is Ionic vernacular with some epic features.
- It is unclear whether Alcmaeon wrote in the Doric dialect of Croton or in the Ionic Greek of the first Presocratics.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan