- A substance that is able to transport particular ions across a lipid membrane in a cell.More example sentences
- Light microscopy of stained mitochondria from the mutant cells treated with nigericin revealed that the ionophore was able to restore their defective morphology to an almost normal appearance.
- Temperature altered the membrane properties homogeneously, whereas the ionophore increased order heterogeneously.
- The same holds for the application of a transmembrane potential that is limited to the generation of a diffusion potential by the usage of ion-specific ionophores.
More definitions of ionophoreDefinition of ionophore in:
- The British & World English dictionary