noun[treated as singular or plural]
- A place where iron is smelted or iron goods are made.More example sentences
- Previous plans for a factory at the ironworks - submitted by a different company - proved controversial among residents.
- Before the Civil War, leased and directly owned African-American slaves worked in southern textile factories, ironworks, tobacco-processing plants, and lumber and grain mills.
- The ironworks at Tannehill were a major southern producer of pig iron prior to the outbreak of the Civil War.
More definitions of ironworksDefinition of ironworks in:
- The British & World English dictionary