noun (plural same)
- I saw some guys making to do the running around behind walls and the likes but I am not to be positive that they are Iroquois or Americans.
- Didn't the Cherokees and Iroquois play important roles in the American Revolution?
- When I learned that my great-grandmother was an Onondaga Indian, I studied everything I could about the Iroquois.
- Historically, the Iroquois language was oral.
- The council was coordinated with the Iroquois council at Six Nations Reserve in Canada.
- Aside from here, the Lakota and Iroquois nations are represented as Native American countries.
Mid 17th century: French, perhaps a term from a Basque-Algonquian pidgin h)irokoa 'killer people', from Basque ((h)ilo 'kill'+ koa 'person'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Iroquois in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.