- An inadequate blood supply to an organ or part of the body, especially the heart muscles.More example sentences
- If a person is having low blood flow or ischemia of the heart, we would treat that.
- Although this may be secondary to sudden decompensation of chronic heart failure, myocardial ischemia is also common.
- In the lower extremities, arteriosclerosis causes ischemia of the calf muscles during ambulation.
- More example sentences
- Aspirin is used in many patients with heart failure caused by ischemic cardiomyopathy.
- Many people with ischaemic heart disease or diabetes have systolic dysfunction or heart failure.
- In clinical trials, about three women in 1,000 developed ischemic colitis over six months.
late 19th century (denoting the stanching of bleeding): modern Latin, from Greek iskhaimos 'stopping blood', from iskhein 'keep back' + haima 'blood'.
More definitions of ischemiaDefinition of ischemia in:
- The British & World English dictionary