Definition of ischemia in English:
An inadequate blood supply to an organ or part of the body, especially the heart muscles.
- If a person is having low blood flow or ischemia of the heart, we would treat that.
- Although this may be secondary to sudden decompensation of chronic heart failure, myocardial ischemia is also common.
- In the lower extremities, arteriosclerosis causes ischemia of the calf muscles during ambulation.
- Example sentences
- Aspirin is used in many patients with heart failure caused by ischemic cardiomyopathy.
- Many people with ischaemic heart disease or diabetes have systolic dysfunction or heart failure.
- In clinical trials, about three women in 1,000 developed ischemic colitis over six months.
Definition of ischemia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.