Definition of isotonic in English:
1(Of muscle action) taking place with normal contraction.
- These properties are in agreement with recent experiments on the isotonic response of single muscle fibers carried out by Edman and Curtin.
- A good example of isotonic contraction would be free weight training.
- This exercise piece is specifically designed for isometric and isotonic neck muscle testing and exercise.
2Denoting or relating to a solution having the same osmotic pressure as some other solution, especially one in a cell or a body fluid.
- Any solutions, such as antibiotic or isotonic solution, should be included on the label.
- Vasopressin continued to act in patients excreting isotonic or hypertonic urine, so hypotonic intake must be avoided in them.
- Standard BAL was then performed using three aliquots of 50-ml sterile isotonic saline.
2.1(Of a drink) containing essential salts and minerals in the same concentration as in the body and intended to replace those lost as a result of sweating during vigorous exercise.
- When you start the London marathon, you've got crowds cheering, you've got pretty girls giving you isotonic drinks.
- I will start with nutritional supplements, gels, isotonic drinks, power bars and creatine.
- It was a mile and a half up a long hill, before I reached the next isotonic drinks station.
early 19th century (as a musical term designating a system of tuning, characterized by equal intervals): from Greek isotonos, from isos 'equal' + tonos 'tone'.
- Example sentences
- When extracellular K + was replaced isotonically with Na +, ionic currents reversed at significantly more depolarized membrane potentials.
- In other studies, KCl in the electrode solution was substituted by NaCl isotonically to give a solution containing 65mM NaCl.
- Example sentences
- We used this convenient notation for simplicity, keeping in mind that this notation slightly overestimated the tonicity difference from isotonicity.
- Sodium chloride solutions having ionic strengths of 14.5 mM - 145 mM were prepared using distilled water, with sorbitol added as appropriate to maintain isotonicity.
- Once the solid material had been dissolved there could be a bit of adjustment to get the solution toward isotonicity.
Definition of isotonic in:
- British & World English dictionary