Definition of isotropic in English:
1(Of an object or substance) having a physical property that has the same value when measured in different directions. Often contrasted with anisotropic.
- Because the bonds are not symmetrical, glass is isotropic and has no definite melting point.
- In isotropic ethanol solutions efficient intersystem crossing is observed with quantum yields around 0.5 being reported.
- In thin section, however, it is a brilliant green, isotropic mineral.
1.1(Of a property or phenomenon) not varying in magnitude according to the direction of measurement.
- Interestingly, several isotropic fluorescence times were found to coexist, indicating structural heterogeneity of the DNA.
- The system was simulated at constant isotropic pressure of 1 atm applied independently to each box dimension.
- In isotropic spreading, retraction of [alpha] actinin is limited until cells are over half spread.
- Example sentences
- Therefore, in order to describe accurately the soil behavior, an anisotropic model is still necessary to be incorporated even if the soil is initially isotropically consolidated.
- Nitric oxide crosses cell membranes without mediation of channels or receptors-it diffuses across cellular membranes isotropically.
- The buttress surface is expanding with high areal strain rates and nearly isotropically.
- Example sentences
- Errors introduced by the assumption of hemispheric isotropy are estimated to be less than 4%.
- Nevertheless, homogeneity and isotropy came to be jointly codified as the ‘cosmological principle.’
- To quantitatively ascertain the isotropy of the collagen gels imaged with confocal reflectance microscopy, several approaches are used.
Words that rhyme with isotropicectopic, gyroscopic, heliotropic, horoscopic, isotopic, kaleidoscopic, macroscopic, microscopic, misanthropic, myopic, philanthropic, phototropic, telescopic, topic, tropic
Definition of isotropic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan