US • informal
- (ixnay on/to/with) Used in rejecting something specified: a nice place to paddle, but ixnay on the swimming ixnay with the moral exhibitionismMore example sentences
- Well, the couple is fighting back saying ixnay on those rumors.
- I just want to 2nd the ixnay on cutesy text messages… uh… and baking cookies together.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Cancel or stop: there are no officials to ixnay development hereMore example sentences
- The execs ixnayed the female first mate from the pilot, and he basically smuggled Nichelle Nicholls in under his coat, only mentioning offhand he was ‘going to add a little colour’ to the bridge crew.
- Though President Bush ixnayed that idea, Wilkinson is still optimistic.
- Yeah, i ixnayed the home-made dough and substituted a 2-pack of prepackaged stuff... pretty decent so far.
1930s: pig Latin for nix.
More definitions of ixnayDefinition of ixnay in:
- The British & World English dictionary