- 1A drug made from the dried leaves of certain South American plants that contain the alkaloid pilocarpine and promote salivation when chewed.More example sentences
- In exanthematous fevers of all kinds jaborandi in small doses is the remedy par excellence.
- Both jaborandi and pilocarpine may cause headaches and can irritate the stomach and cause vomiting and nausea.
- 2Any of the plants that yield the drug jaborandi.
More example sentences
- Several genera and species, in particular Pilocarpus jaborandi (family Rutaceae)
- Pilocarpus was at one time adulterated with spurious jaborandis, other foreign leaves, stems, dirt and mouldy leaves.
- Brushwood is represented by low and thick bushes, at the sides of the paths, formed by jaborandis, vassouras, and carquejas.
early 17th century: from Tupi-Guarani jaburandi, literally 'a person who spits'.
More definitions of jaborandiDefinition of jaborandi in:
- The British & World English dictionary