Definition of jacana in English:
A small tropical wading bird with greatly elongated toes and claws that enable it to walk on floating vegetation. Also called lily-trotter.
- FamilyJacanidae: several genera and species
- Large wading and diving birds seemed to be everywhere: great white egrets, great blue herons, green herons, tricolored herons, roseate spoonbills, anhingas, cormorants, and jacanas.
- For decades, taxonomists couldn't agree whether to classify jacanas with rails or shorebirds; genetic studies now appear to confirm the latter.
- When we came around the other side of the pond, someone spotted a jacana walking across the lily pads.
Definition of jacana in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.