(alsojaçana /ˌZHäsəˈnä, ˌjä-/)
- A small tropical wading bird with greatly elongated toes and claws that enable it to walk on floating vegetation. Also called lily-trotter.
More example sentences
- FamilyJacanidae: several genera and species
- Large wading and diving birds seemed to be everywhere: great white egrets, great blue herons, green herons, tricolored herons, roseate spoonbills, anhingas, cormorants, and jacanas.
- For decades, taxonomists couldn't agree whether to classify jacanas with rails or shorebirds; genetic studies now appear to confirm the latter.
- When we came around the other side of the pond, someone spotted a jacana walking across the lily pads.
mid 18th century: from Portuguese jaçanã, from Tupi-Guarani jasanã.
More definitions of jacanaDefinition of jacana in:
- The British & World English dictionary