Definition of jackal in English:
A slender, long-legged wild dog that feeds on carrion, game, and fruit and often hunts cooperatively, found in Africa and southern Asia.
- Genus Canis, family Canidae: four species, including the golden jackal (C. aureus) and the black-backed jackal (C. mesomelas)
- There are 36 species of Canidae, including dogs, wolves, coyotes, jackals and foxes.
- Following on their heels are the predators of the savanna - lion, cheetah, wild dog, jackal, hyena and vultures.
- Burrows which have been abandoned may be used for shelter by bats, ground squirrels, hares, cats, civets, hyenas, jackals, porcupines, monitor lizards, owls and warthogs.
Definition of jackal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan