- A hare found in open country in western North America.
More example sentences
- Genus Lepus, family Leporidae: several species, including the blacktail jackrabbit (L. californicus)
- Varmints, those troublesome, unpleasant or despicable animals, include coyotes, fox, raccoons, ground hogs, ground squirrels, prairie dogs, jackrabbits and other small rodents.
- The hawks hunt cooperatively with several birds simultaneously swooping on their prey, which consists of woodrats, jackrabbits, and other birds.
- The huge ears of jackrabbits enable them to regulate their body heat by increasing or decreasing the blood flow through their ears which helps them to absorb heat or cool off when temperatures in their environment change.
mid 19th century: abbreviation of jackass-rabbit, because of its long ears.
More definitions of jackrabbitDefinition of jackrabbit in:
- The British & World English dictionary