- Any of the smaller kinds of Arctic-breeding skuas.
More example sentences
- Genus Stercorarius, family Stercorariidae: three species, e.g., the parasitic jaeger or Arctic skua (S. parasiticus)
- Sandy Neck, Barnstable, and First Encounter Beach, Eastham, are Cape places to observe shearwaters, jaegers, phalaropes, ducks, gannets and for a few lucky sentinels, an occasional northern fulmar.
- Usually you can expect to see great numbers of pelagic birds - gannets, shearwaters, jaegers, storm-petrels, alcids - that live mainly at sea.
- On the other hand, there is a rich community of specialist and generalist predators (arctic foxes, stoats, snowy owls, rough-legged hawks, gulls, jaegers and ravens), all of which feed on lemmings.
mid 19th century (applied to any predatory seabird): from German Jäger 'hunter', from jagen 'to hunt'.
More definitions of jaegerDefinition of jaeger in:
- The British & World English dictionary