Definition of jaeger in English:
Any of the smaller kinds of Arctic-breeding skuas.
- Genus Stercorarius, family Stercorariidae: three species, e.g., the parasitic jaeger or Arctic skua (S. parasiticus)
- Sandy Neck, Barnstable, and First Encounter Beach, Eastham, are Cape places to observe shearwaters, jaegers, phalaropes, ducks, gannets and for a few lucky sentinels, an occasional northern fulmar.
- Usually you can expect to see great numbers of pelagic birds - gannets, shearwaters, jaegers, storm-petrels, alcids - that live mainly at sea.
- On the other hand, there is a rich community of specialist and generalist predators (arctic foxes, stoats, snowy owls, rough-legged hawks, gulls, jaegers and ravens), all of which feed on lemmings.
mid 19th century (applied to any predatory seabird): from German Jäger 'hunter', from jagen 'to hunt'.
Definition of jaeger in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan