Definition of jane in English:
nouninformal , chiefly US
- An unattractive girl or woman.Example sentences
- Its angle is to take a group of plain Janes, make them over into glamour girls, and then have them all take part in a season-ending beauty pageant.
- But then as realisation dawns that the array of beauty products have not after all kept their ‘promise’ of turning the plain Jane into a stunning beauty as in those alluring ads, the search for newer range begins.
- Sixteen plain Janes fight it out in an extreme new reality show in a bid to become a beauty queen.
Early 20th century: from the given name Jane.
Definition of jane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.