Definition of jape in English:
A practical joke: the childish jape of depositing a stink bomb in her locker
More example sentences
- If Elizabeth was the King's trusty squire, Margaret was his jester, winning his affection - as she learned to attract social attention - by jokes, japes and mischief.
- Situated just up the road from the national stadium, there was fun, games and jolly japes, allowing young fans and those just young at heart to enjoy their own pre-match entertainment.
- I particularly enjoyed the jolly japes and larks of Ping the Elastic Man, Tin-Can Tommy and Whoopee Hank the slapdash sheriff.
verb[no object] Back to top
Say or do something in jest or mockery.
- Tama Janowitz, the novelist, was among those who made speeches, and a tape was played showing the designer japing around with Debbie Harry, who was likewise present.
- UPDATE I think I've been japed by this Amazon reviewer… My irony detector must be on the blink this morning.
- I like the way they laugh and jape while queuing for baguettes, chips, burgers or whatever takes their fancy, and I like the way they stand and sit in small groups to take their lunch in good company.
- Example sentences
- ‘Feminists on Men’ contains more ribald japery about men being stupid.
- Mathews concocts burlesques and parodies of such rare excellence as to put one in mind of the broad literary japery of Terry Southern at his most inspired.
- It is hard to believe that this man captained an Essex side renowned for their humour and jolly japery.
Words that rhyme with japeagape, ape, cape, chape, crape, crêpe, drape, escape, gape, grape, misshape, nape, rape, scrape, shape, tape
Definition of jape in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.