noun (plural same)
1A native or inhabitant of Java, or a person of Javanese descent.
- In Natrabu restaurants, where a traditional atmosphere is preserved, most of the employees are Javanese, Sundanese or even Acehnese.
- The Dutch colonized the Javanese for 300 years before they finally pointed their guns on Aceh in 1873.
- He went to the 14 th-century Panataran Temple in Blitar, East Java but found little that could tell him more about gamelan, a musical instrument claimed to be indigenous to the Javanese.
2The Indonesian language of central Java.
- A friend from high school even tried to be creative, writing a long message in three languages - Indonesian, Javanese and Sundanese.
- His children all speak Javanese as well as Indonesian and work in shops.
- Farida said she heard the kidnappers speaking Javanese, the dialect of most of Java Island where many TNI soldiers hail from.
Relating to Java, its people, or their language.
- Gembili in the Javanese language are small, round and black-skinned potatoes.
- Although Hindu Bali did not convert to Islam, it was part of this archipelagic continuity because of its intimate connections with Java and Javanese culture.
- A few years ago, when Soeharto was still in power, an ancient temple in Central Java was reportedly destroyed by a group of believers in Javanese mysticism, including some then Cabinet ministers.
Words that rhyme with JavaneseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Javanese in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.