noun (plural same or jawfishes)
- A small fish with very large jaws that lives in shallow tropical seas. It often inhabits a burrow in the sand, the walls of which are lined with pieces of shell and stone.
More example sentences
- Family Opistognathidae: several genera and species
- Bluespotted jawfish are usually found on the ocean bottom at depths of 18-24 m, near cliff bases or rocky outcroppings of offshore islands.
- Fire corals and stony corals on top of a boulder at Carval Rock colonies of yellow-headed jawfish live on rubble areas among the coral at the Indians site dolphins in the lagoon at Prospect Reef Resort
- On the sandy floor a gold spectacled jawfish, affectionately known as Harry, cradled a brood of eggs in his open mouth.
More definitions of jawfishDefinition of jawfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary