Definition of jawfish in English:
noun (plural same or jawfishes)
A small fish with very large jaws that lives in shallow tropical seas. It often inhabits a burrow in the sand, the walls of which are lined with pieces of shell and stone.
- Family Opistognathidae: several genera and species
- Bluespotted jawfish are usually found on the ocean bottom at depths of 18-24 m, near cliff bases or rocky outcroppings of offshore islands.
- Fire corals and stony corals on top of a boulder at Carval Rock colonies of yellow-headed jawfish live on rubble areas among the coral at the Indians site dolphins in the lagoon at Prospect Reef Resort
- On the sandy floor a gold spectacled jawfish, affectionately known as Harry, cradled a brood of eggs in his open mouth.
Definition of jawfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan