(also jimpson weed)
Definition of jimson weed in English:
1A strong-smelling poisonous datura with large, trumpet-shaped white flowers and toothed leaves, which has become a weed of waste ground in many countries.
- Datura stramonium, family Solanaceae
- And I found out that jimson weed is also called Datura and has been in use as a shamanic psychotropic substance, and a folk medicine forever.
- Datura is jimson weed and these ornamental plants with the large, white, bell-like flowers.
- Four teenagers consumed hallucinogenic and poisonous jimson weed Thursday night and were hospitalized with fast heartbeats and impaired vision.
Late 17th century (originally as Jamestown weed): named after Jamestown in Virginia.
Definition of jimson weed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.