(also jimpson weed)
Definition of jimson weed in English:
1A strong-smelling poisonous datura with large, trumpet-shaped white flowers and toothed leaves, which has become a weed of waste ground in many countries.
- Datura stramonium, family Solanaceae
- And I found out that jimson weed is also called Datura and has been in use as a shamanic psychotropic substance, and a folk medicine forever.
- Datura is jimson weed and these ornamental plants with the large, white, bell-like flowers.
- Four teenagers consumed hallucinogenic and poisonous jimson weed Thursday night and were hospitalized with fast heartbeats and impaired vision.
Late 17th century (originally as Jamestown weed): named after Jamestown in Virginia.
Definition of jimson weed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan